Wednesday, December 29, 2010

In Honor of Teena Marie - Miss Lady T




Like many around the world, Teena Marie was an inspiration to me. I was so saddened to hear of her sudden death at just 54 years old. I remember when I first was introduced to her music by a close friend...and from my first listen of "Square Biz," I was hooked.

Outside of her amazing vocal range and singing ability, she was an accomplished guitar player, songwriter and producer. She inspired me to sing, to write and try new things with music.

I tried to see her in concert almost every time she came to the Los Angeles area...and in the beginning, she would always be on tour with her mentor, Rick James. I have so many great memories of them on stage together -- and of course, their famous duet -- "Fire and Desire." How I LOVE to sing that one!!!

I saw their last concert together, before Rick James passed away...and her live shows after his death always felt a bit empty without him there. She kept a place for him on stage always.

There was something so much fun about seeing her in concert -- the "grown and sexy" atmosphere, the crowd always singing along to every song she sang...She will be missed.

In honor of her life, her legacy and all she inspired, I recorded an acapella version of her beautiful song "Portuguese Love." I hope you enjoy it!!!

So you know, this is the first of many songs in my "ANNIEOKE" series.....Stay tuned!!


From Wikipedia: Teena Marie (born Mary Christine Brockert, March 5, 1956; died December 26, 2010), was an American singer, songwriter and producer. Marie, sometimes nicknamed Lady Tee or Lady T, was a protégée of funk artist Rick James. She played rhythm guitar, keyboards, congas. She also wrote, produced, sang and arranged virtually all of her songs since her 1980 release, Irons in the Fire and , which she later said was her favorite album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]